Jul 19

Food for Thought: You are What You Eat, Literally

Food for Thought is a new column on A Beautiful Ripple Effect! It is written by nutrition + inspiration guru extraordinaire Whitney Ahneman. The column will be published every other Monday! Check out Whitney’s introduction video about the series in this post!

You Are What You Eat, Literally

I’m sure we’ve all heard that phrase many a time.  In fact, if I had a dime for every time my mom told me that I’m going to ‘turn into kettle corn one of these days’ I’d be a rich woman.  I never really thought about it’s meaning; instead it has always served as a stock phrase in my life that went in one ear and out the other.

Well, upon hearing this saying recently, I got to thinking about it this time around.  You are what you eat. What a funny saying, and how scarily accurate.  The food that one consumes is quite literally the building blocks for cells in the body.  We get amino acids from protein, the very amino acids that go on to become enzymes and hormones that circulate our body.  We get glucose from carbohydrates, which goes on to provide energy to the muscles that allow us to move and the brain that allows us to think.  We get lipids from fats, these lipids go on to aid in cell synthesis and help us to absorb vitamins.  Sorry for the mini biology lesson, but I find linking food to the human metabolism on such a small scale to be quite fascinating.

You are what you eat. While those five little words are often turned into a joke, or said in passing, it is important to remember that food supplies more than just calories. It gives us the building blocks on a micro level to build and maintain a healthy body and a clear mind.

Take Action!

I challenge you to think about how your own eating and hydration habits serve your cells or your organs.  Thinking about food on this level is actually quite refreshing.

Quick note: Remember that it’s the overall pattern of intake, not individual meals or foods that give rise to your total diet.  You’ll never hear me demonize any one food or restaurant.  Healthful eating demands balance.

… What do you think? Are YOU What You Eat? Do you accept the challenge? Let’s meet in the comments and chat about this topic!

If you enjoy this topic, be sure to check out my first Food For Thought post published two weeks ago: Food For Thought: Oh Breakfast, Where Art Thou?. (includes a free PDF!)

. . . . .

Help spread the word about this new column by tweeting or linking or sharing the Food For Thought Badge on your blog! I am so grateful for your support!!

You might also like...

Posted in: Food for Thought, Guest Bloggers

Email this  /  Tweet This  /  Share on Facebook  /  Stumble It!  /  Follow Carolyn on Twitter

{ 8 comments… read them below or add one }

Katie July 19, 2010 at 8:18 AM

Carolyn, this is actually one of my favourite topics too. I’ve found myself becoming much more conscious of what I eat over the past five years. I’ve switched to veganism and my entire kitchen has been slowly transformed to an organic, healthy environment. I’m proud of how my family has embraced all of the changes I have slowly introduced. We are much healthier than we were before and this is because we eat healthier, plan and simple.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..What is the World Trying to Tell You &amp Are You Listening =-.

Whitney July 21, 2010 at 7:04 AM

Hi Katie, I’m glad to see you’ve begun the process of thinking for your body on this level! And I find it remarkable that you switched over to veganism and made changes for your family as well. It’s always easier said than done so kudos. Best of luck to you!
.-= Whitney´s last blog ..Diabetes Without the Finger Pricks =-.

Katie July 21, 2010 at 8:02 AM

Hey Whitney, sorry I addressed my comment to Carolyn. My mistake. Regardless I love what you said about food. It was indeed ‘food for thought’. All the best.
.-= Katie´s last blog ..5 Simple Ways to Embrace the Bliss of Less =-.

Jadyn July 19, 2010 at 3:38 PM

Thanks for sharing this Whitney, it really is fascinating to think about how what we ingest contributes to our body, and not just in calories. I just finished a biology class for my science requirement and I struggled my way through it. Yet, reading this post I realized how practical and important that stuff really is even though I wasn’t all that excited to learn it!
I like the idea of balance too, as growing up my mom was very into healthy eating but focused a lot on how bad certain foods are for you. It’s taken me a long time to find balance in my diet and I think reading your posts will help me stay on the right track!

Whitney July 21, 2010 at 7:11 AM

Hi Jadyn, I’m soo incredibly happy you find this information practical! Learning the biology behind it all can be a little stuffy so I’m happy to translate. And thanks for the comment on balance… Many people think that health is about restrictions and limits, but that does not a satisfying diet pattern make. I’m glad to hear you’ve begun to find the appropriate balance in your life!
.-= Whitney´s last blog ..Diabetes Without the Finger Pricks =-.

Clearly Composed July 21, 2010 at 12:12 PM

Eating a healthy and balanced diet is a passion of mine and I am looking forward to this new series very much. :)
.-= Clearly Composed´s last blog .. The ProBlogger 7 Link Challenge =-.

Paramjit August 10, 2010 at 11:59 PM

You are absolutely right. We are what we eat. the most awesome quote comes from Jack Lalanne. He says “The food you eat today is the skin you wear tomorrow”. How apt? Thanks for the insights.
.-= Paramjit´s last blog ..Easy To Fall Off if You Don’t Cross the Exercise Threshold =-.

Olin Mihalek December 8, 2010 at 7:33 AM

Thanks. I’m supposed to cook for my new vegetarian girlfriend next week and have absolutely no idea what to make! I found a loadlots of recipes at this vegetarian recipes site but with so mnay to choose from I just got confused. Do you have any recommendations, like .. the tastiest vegetarian recipe, ever, or something?! Thanks in advance! I’m so clueless about this vegetarian stuff